:: Re: [DNG] Automatic connections: ex…
Góra strony
Autor: tilt!
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] Automatic connections: expected behaviour from netman
Hi Edward,

On 09/13/2015 02:35 PM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> At the moment, I am thinking about how netman should behave when
> automatic searching and connecting to wifi hotspots is enabled. I
> already have an idea how this can be achieved, but I want to use
> the least of processing time possible, knowing from experience how
> network managers that think for themselves can be made to almost
> clog the system.

Things that come to my mind:

These are obvious, and i am sure you already do that anyway:

1. I never would want to be automatically connected to a WiFi
    i have not manually connected to previously at least once.

2. I never would want to be disconnected from a WiFi just
    because a different WiFi network becomes available.

3. Manual connections should be preferred over automatic ones.

Maybe there is the possibility to have a treshhold of some sort,
to avoid rapidly connecting / disconnecting a WiFi network. The
WiFi could have a weak signal strength or some other reason that
makes it unreliable; the treshhold should go over logins / time,
meaning something like this (i picked the actual numbers out of
thin air):

    more than 1 automatic login per minute on SSID X
    over a period of 2 minutes

    leads to:

    disable automatic connection to X for 30 minutes

Users could then still connect manually.

Kind regards,
T.