:: [DNG] Automatic connections: expect…
Góra strony
Autor: Edward Bartolo
Dla: dng
Temat: [DNG] Automatic connections: expected behaviour from netman
Hi all,

As I am approaching the final stages of Pre-Alpha development, I would
like to ask how netman should behave when 'automatic connections' are
enabled.

Needless to state the obvious, here, we are not doing Microsoft, but
rather, we want to keep netman as simple as it can be. Yes, there are
opinions contrary to what I am doing, but the world is such, that we
cannot please everyone.

At the moment, I am thinking about how netman should behave when
automatic searching and connecting to wifi hotspots is enabled. I
already have an idea how this can be achieved, but I want to use the
least of processing time possible, knowing from experience how network
managers that think for themselves can be made to almost clog the
system.

As far as I am concerned, manual connections to a wifi is enough for
me. I only need to click a button, and netman connects.

My 'idea' is to use the already existing timer to check whether there
is a connection, if not, it calls the function for automatic
connections. If when the latter function returns there is still no
active connection, netman stops trying to connect automatically until
the user tries to connect manually.

On startup, the timer would call the function for automatic
connections without user intervention if automatic connections are
enabled.

Edward