:: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-thr…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Doing away with multi-threading in my project (netman)
On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 11:47:34 +0100
Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think, I found an alternative to multithreading in netman. This is
> using interprocess communication, although what I have in mind may not
> be proper interprocess communication.
>
> The idea is this: the backend would be converted into some sort of a
> daemon exporting one function and importing another one. The frontend
> would use the exported function from the backend to send it commands.
> The backend would do the same thing with the exported function from
> the frontend:
>
> Visually, this is as follows:
>
> Frontend -------------->> Backend
> Frontend <<-------------- Backend
>
> In my humble opinion, this may help getting rid of having to use
> multithreading to avoid temporary frontend deadlocks. It also solves
> the issue with zombies being created, and would permit me create a
> responsive application but using the KISS principle.

I like it. A lot!

IMHO the front end should do nothing but display ESSIDs with strength
and encryption, letting you click on the one you want or right click
and say "turn off" to turn it off.

If you've already dealt with that ESSID, the back end has the password
and uses it to join that ESSID. If the back end hasn't dealt with it,
it sends the front end a message saying "get me the password", the
front end queries the user for the password, and the front end sends it
back to the back end. Assuming one user, this doesn't even have to be
stateful, but if it has to be stateful, there are a million ways to do
it.

I like it!

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust