:: Re: [DNG] remove systemd for the lo…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] remove systemd for the love of Yog-Sothoth already
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> could thus considered to be a bait, what was the point, exactly?

ehehehe, exactly

BTW on the bright side, yesterday I did something quite daring

went switching from Debian wheezy to Devuan jessie on a production
machine which runs with an LVM raid setup and to which I didn't even had
physical access.

after the typical apt-get update + change apt sources + dist-upgrade all
went very well, one reboot needed to switch the running init to sysvinit
before being able to remove the systemd package, then a liberating
autoremove which brought away a lot of dependencies.

I was impressed how smooth it went and how much less resources are used
on the server. I keep reading of people loosing access to remote
machines when upgrading to Debian jessie, now I wonder if the upgrade
path to Devuan can be declared to be a more stable choice already...

ciao