:: Re: [DNG] remove systemd for the lo…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] remove systemd for the love of Yog-Sothoth already
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 22:17:05 +0200
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> Someone kept confirming that Devuan will not support systemd. But it
> was confirmed as well that the option for Devuan to support systemd
> is still quite wide open if someone (I believe more accurate will be
> a company as big as RedHat) is willing to put the efforts to do that.

Are you advocating that we insert Halloween Code to crash the minute a
systemd library is detected? Or that Devuan personnel go through every
submission to see whether it's contaminated?

Actually, the latter could probably be easily done programmatically,
which might not be a bad idea.

Speaking just for myself, I would shed no tears if Devuan refused to
contain any software with any direct or indirect dependency on any
systemd library.

In the book Lucifer's Hammer, the authors make the point that a society
adopts the ethics it can afford. In an ideal world, we'd all like to be
init agnostic and allow all comers. But this world is us against
billion capitalization Red Hat who can fund a crew to keep their
systemd Rube Goldberg machine running, so perhaps we can't afford to be
so init agnostic.

And, as has been discussed a thousand times over, if someone wants
Devuan with any systemd dependencies, they want Debian.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust