:: Re: [DNG] Linux-related critique [R…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linux-related critique [Rant]
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:06:25 +0100
> Rainer Weikusat <rainerweikusat@???> wrote:
>
>> DStoicheff <pubnetix@???> writes:
>> > I am positive this post will raise the blood pressure
>> > of some, but it is long overdue
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > I am of a certain age to have a working knowledge of IBM 360,
>> > punched card accounting
>>
>> It's a pity that you haven't been able to come to terms with more
>> modern developments, eg, UNIX(*).
>
> Rainer --- Why respond to that guy. His very first post on our mailing
> list, and it's nothing but word salad.

<rant>
There are two reasons for that:

    - I've read too many of these always almost identical rants

        - I started using Linux-based systems with RH Linux 2.0 and to
          me, they represented a step forward from the traditional way
          systems were built: No undocumented or halfway documented
          vendor-supplied binaries with special superpowers interacting
          with each other in some highly complicated ways using arcane
          IPC facilities and seemingly random conventions with "no user
          servicable parts inside" labels sticking on them

That's how System/360 worked (presumably), that's how VMS worked
(presumably), that's how OS/2 and Windows worked and that's what systemd
strives to become and it's not modern but stone-age conservatism:
Everything which happened in the 1970s was a grotesque travesty of the
common sense of our oldest ancestors, let's shed these ancient legacy
to travel back to the golden age of the even more distant past!

I don't want to be teleported back into 1956 because someone has a
problem with accepting technical progress ...
</rant>