:: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
Le 15/08/2015 18:01, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 08:51:55 +0200
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
>
>> Le 15/08/2015 02:26, Steve Litt a écrit :

>>> Oh, you wouldn't want to do that. Contrary to what I wrote in
>>> another thread about "the perfect is the enemy of the good", if *I*
>>> were in charge of decontamination, I'd throw out whole subsystems.
>>> Gnome gone. KDE gone. Xfce gone. Networkmanager gone. Gimp gone if
>>> it gets all systemd on us.
>>>
>>> In the massive time I save as not being the bomb squad defusing Red
>>> Hat's terrorism, I'd write small replacements for a lot of things
>>> that use only Linux and a very rudimentary and optional GUI
>>> interface.
>>>
>>> Then I'd write documentation explaining how to use a sharp thinking
>>> computer, to the proud ignorants of the world, especially those who
>>> believe their ignorance is a badge of honor proving their age or
>>> gender.
>>>
>>> And the people who prioritize pretty over functional and robust: I'd
>>> tell them to get a Mac.
>>>
>>> You don't want me in that capacity.
>>>
>>> And yes, I *am* a hypocrit who takes one position in one thread, and
>>> then says he'd do the opposite in another. :-)
>>>
>>> SteveT
>>>

>>       Please, Steve, provide us with all you mentionned, as an
>> alternative to mainstream bloated/infected stuff. Since Devuan is all
>> about freedom, this is the place where to deliver to the world. As
>> soon as I can install Devuan on metal, I'll be one of your testers.

>>       Didier
> OK. What should come first?

> * Automounter?
> * No-dbus replacement for NetworkManager/Wicd?
> * Other?
>
> Please keep in mind, I'm not a good enough programmer to write a
> substitute for Gimp or Gnome. Let's keep the first one simple and easy
> so I can actually do it, in a reasonable timeframe, without adversely
> impacting my real work.

     Well you seem to have a lot of ideas and recipes and a good
experience of not well known simple and smart tools. I got just two
ideas of things you already discussed:

      Do you think a mount helper would be achievable with dmenu? I know
you and some other people prefer an automounter, and may be it could be
a first step before the mount helper.

     A light replacement for wpagui/wicd would be nice. Interfacing
directly with wpa_supplicant requires probably a lot of technical
knowledge about wifi protocols. But maybe it is simpler when interfacing
through wpacli - let's not re-invent the wheel.

     I know we have all shaked ideas about all this but it does not
prove that it is easy. What I mean is if you make something smart and
usefull for you, people will love to try it because many here are tuned
on the same frequency as you, KISS and smart.

     Didier