:: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
Author: Patrick Erdmann
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
On 09.08.2015 12:02, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Mark S Bilk <mark@???> writes:
>> It seems to me that it's good to have shim programs that satisfy
>> dependencies of apps on systemd, each shim performing some systemd
>> function. Here's why:
>>
>> Suppose there are 10,000 application programs (apps) for Linux,
>> and their developers foolishly insert dependencies on systemd.

These 10.000 apps with depencies could become 10.000 debian packages
with hard dependency to systemd. But if devuan removes the dependency
once they could create a patch and use this patch automatically on the
updated debian package...

debian pkg xy -> devuan developer -(creates)-> devuan package and devuan
patch;
debian upgrades pkg xy -> devuan build system applies the old patch -(if
no errors)-> package goes into testing...

I hope this is understandable. I think in most cases one patch could
uphold for a long time. Please think about that and stop developing
shims :) All those shims will end up in having a systemd fork.