:: Re: [DNG] multichannel audio i/o ma…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Joel Roth
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] multichannel audio i/o management w/o pulse/dbus
Hendrik Boom wrote:
> How many audio systems does Linux have now?
>
> Does any of them have really low latency -- the kind you need if you
> are programming the synthesizer inside a live-performance musical
> instrument?

A lot of people do use Linux for live performance. The
soundcard DAC/ADC adds some latency. The vanilla kernel is
fairly good WRT latency, and depending on your needs you can
compile your own kernel (or find an optimized one) for
slightly lower latency.

Unlike proprietary frameworks, JACK lets different apps play
together without fuss. If you're hooking together several
components via JACK, each connection adds the latency
associated with one buffer (actually it depends on the
buffer size times the number of periods, which are
command-line arguments to jackd). JACK itself doesn't add
latency, and has an API for reporting latencies at different
nodes of the audio network, so that it can be compensated.

You do need a decent soundcard to be able to do live
performance.

The authoritative fora for working with these issues are the
Linux Audio Users and Linux Audio Developers mailing lists.

As the developer of a lightweight DAW with a text interface,
I've followed these lists for several years and heard a lot
of music produced using Linux. With the incredible
flexibility and variety of apps currently available, I would
go so far as to say it's a golden age for Linux audio :)

cheers,

Joel