:: [DNG] sans-dbus: was Will there be …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] sans-dbus: was Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 08:39:05 +0200
Michael Bütow <mbutow@???> wrote:

> I am sure if someone wants to expend the energy to get rid of D-Bus
> related software in Devuan, they can set up their own spin of it.

For those of you who don't want dbus, my experience tells me that
getting rid of it would involve something like the following:

* Use something like fvwm, Openbox or LXDE that makes minimal or no use
of dbus.

* Don't use NetworkManager. I don't remember whether Wicd uses dbus or
not. If Wicd uses dbus, just do a combination of iwlist scanning and
wpa_supplicant to "dial in" Wifi.

Put a command into your init system that kills the dbus started in your
initramfs. I personally wouldn't recommend tampering with your
initramfs itself.

In your init system, get rid of commands that start or modify a running
dbus.

Get rid of Pulseaudio (obviously, and not just to get away from dbus),
get rid of ALSA to get away from dbus, and use OSS with snd_mixer_oss
and rexima.

You might have to tell several of your GUI programs not to do
notifications, because they notify to dbus without the option to notify
other ways.

It's probably not going to be that difficult for the average Devuan
user to get rid of dbus if s/he wants to.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21