:: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan…
Author: miro.rovis
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 03:28:28PM -0700, James Powell wrote:
> D-Bus isn't great, but currently it is still a cross-UNIX IPC in
> userspace. BSD uses it, Illumos uses it, and so does GNU/Linux.

Since you would still like it around, in opportunistic or in some other
way that I should call it, I think a question is due.

Can you tell to the public what is the purpose of the
user-not-asked-about, in fact mostly user-never-even-knowing-about-it
encrypted ssh channel that dbus sets up, along with all the
non-GNU-compatible remote procedure calls (which are there for what
purpose?) that dbus implements?

Is that for FOSS stands for?

> D-Bus is way down my list of software to steer clear of any more.

Your choice. Does that mean you won't look favorably that us who don't
want dbus have a way with our Devuan installs? I hope not.
> ________________________________
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 02:51:59PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 20:03:03 +0200
> > miro.rovis@??? wrote:

> > > [...] And I'm very glad that I was wrong!
> >
> > I'll say one thing though: Like miro.rovis, if I had my ideal system,
> > it would lack dbus. [...]
> And I have in my Gentoo alsa working perfectly (and surely: without
> pulseaudio), without dbus, really a nice, intrusion unfriendly install,
> and improving.
>
> And on my Debian when I mostly (not completely) succeeded in applying
> lots of stuff from:
>
> MirDebian "WTF" Repository
> https://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/debidx.htm
> [...]
> without [...] poetterware. And I made that Tips page about it (see my
> first-in-this-thread mail). It's not as read as my Grsec Install Tips
> page for Debian (see my 1st mail), not only was, but still is (still
> is!), but it did grew to a few thounsad viewsi [...]
>
> Meaning, Debianers were able to follow it and clean their systems from
> systemd and dbus and pulseaudio with more or less success, or at the
> very least were eager too!

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis