:: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
Author: Riccardo Boninsegna
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Proposed defaults changes
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:29 AM, KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 02:59:51AM +0200, Franco Lanza wrote:
>> nano -> vim
> I believe it's not time for changes in the defaults. The first thing I
> do on fresh installs is to pull in vim and emacs, make one of them the
> default editor and remove the bloody exim. But I understand that most
> users are unconfortable with vim, and nano is a viable alternative.

Repeating since I accidentally replied privately to Micky:
Aren't both "nano" and "vim-tiny" already installed by default, at
least with the
pseudo-task "Standard system utilities"?
(If we need to vote on something, count me in for nano, but as I just
said it's a non-issue)

> In any case, the principle of minimum surprise should be a guiding rule of thumb.
> IMHO, a superificial Debian jessie user should not notice
> the difference between Devuan and Debian, until she has to manually
> start/stop a daemon from the terminal.

Debian made `service *` automatically translate to `systemctl *` as
appropriate :)

> Then, since you are asking, I personally would prefer to have an as
> small as possible fingerprint on the "basic" install

Indeed. Debian is relatively big even without "Standard system utilities";
Arch isn't, but after installing relatively little, dependencies
enlarge them quite a bit...

> Having vim or an MTA already installed does not automagically give you
> the sufficient knowledge to use them, BTW.

Absolutely true -- I can set up exim4 to link to Gmail, but it took me
relatively a lot of research and the cooperation of debconf!