:: Re: [DNG] Sound (Was: My experienc…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Sound (Was: My experience with Devuan Alpha2)
On Thu, 2 Jul 2015 06:17:06 -0500
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@???> wrote:

> * On 2015 02 Jul 05:49 -0500, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
>
> > What will be the alternatives?
>
> I have the same question. While I'm not cheerleader for PA, it works
> for me on the desktop. However, due to ridding myself of most traces
> of freedesktop.org packages on my main desktop computer running Debian
> Jessie, I can no longer hear audio from Firefox either via Flash or
> HTML5.

Hi Nate,

I'm pretty sure that's fixable. Once upon a time I initted
Manjaro-OpenRC with the runit init system, and in doing so found myself
with an OSS-only audio system. No problem, after a little tweaking, I
could watch and listen to Youtube videos.

Here's my documentation about that setup:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#12232014_pure_runit_init_proof_of_concept

I have a feeling that if you can get it to work with OSS, you can get
it to work with ALSA also. Probably some mute or wrong device or
something.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key