:: [DNG] Sound (Was: My experience wi…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Klaus Ethgen
A: dng
Assumptes vells: Re: [DNG] My experience with Devuan Alpha2
Assumpte: [DNG] Sound (Was: My experience with Devuan Alpha2)
Hi,

Am Do den 2. Jul 2015 um 8:55 schrieb Jaromil:
> We see Devuan as a system for professionals, not consumers, and that also includes audio/video professionals.
>
> Pulseaudio will likely be eliminated from available choices, because of its poor latency and lack to support anything that is not just a desktop player or voip application. From an upstream POV I can well understand why professional software like hydrogen or ardour have very little interest in supporting pulseaudio and even if they'll do PA won't ever be the best option for those of us using all this in studio production environments.

What will be the alternatives? ALSA never worked for me to a usefull
state. It has partly translated config files but not in the parser, has
always cracking sound and kernel panics. It lags the ability to play
multiple streams and more.

On the other hand, OSS (OSS4) did always work and is the easier to
implement solution. It supports natively sound multiplexing and several
channels.

Unfortunately some applications does refuse to work with oss, even
applications that was long OSS only (Teamspeak, commercial product)

Pulsaudio was /one/ solution to mitigate that but no good solution as it
adds many problems with sound.

So I am interested in the strategy, devuan will go here.

Regards
   Klaus
- --
Klaus Ethgen                              http://www.ethgen.ch/
pub  4096R/4E20AF1C 2011-05-16   Klaus Ethgen <Klaus@???>
Fingerprint: 85D4 CA42 952C 949B 1753  62B3 79D0 B06F 4E20 AF1C