:: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
Author: Anto
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request

On 15/06/15 02:41, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 00:36:34 +0200
> Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:
>

>> There is one thing that annoys me due to epoch only has a singe
>> configuration file. I think you have done a lot more research on
>> epoch so perhaps you could answer this. Is there any mechanism to
>> automatically manage applications that we want to start/stop at
>> boot/shutdown time on epoch, which is similar to update-rc.d script
>> for sysvinit?
> I've never seen update-rc.d, but if you're asking me if I can write a
> separate program that takes a list of services, each with their
> "provides" and their list of "requires", into the numbers you need for
> ordering those service, absolutely I can write that program. You and
> Subsentient just need to give me the specification of the format of the
> service/provides/requires{,requires{,requires{...}}}, and I can write
> the program that turns that into numbers.
>
>> At the moment, it looks to me that if I installed ntpd for instance,
>> I have to manually edit epoch.conf and add ntpd ObjectID.
> Yes. You should go onto Freenode's #epoch and talk to Subsentient. I
> believe that one of his design manifesto principles is that you edit
> this stuff, no GUI. But I'm pretty sure that as of a couple versions
> ago, Epoch can deal with multiple config files.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/key

Hello Steve,

I am not actually looking for GUI interface to manage epoch
configuration, but more like the functionality of update-rc.d script
(http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?sektion=8&query=update-rc.d&apropos=0&manpath=sid&locale=en).

I am not a hard core UNIX/Linux admin, but I think such script is distro
specific, In Debian and its derivative distros, update-rc.d script is
part of sysvinit package. So it should be understandable that the
upstream sysvinit, upstart or epoch do not provide such script, as it
should be provided by the init package of the distro. This means that I
have to learn much more than I previously thought :)

Kind regards,

Anto