:: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] epoch feature request
On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 00:36:34 +0200
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> There is one thing that annoys me due to epoch only has a singe
> configuration file. I think you have done a lot more research on
> epoch so perhaps you could answer this. Is there any mechanism to
> automatically manage applications that we want to start/stop at
> boot/shutdown time on epoch, which is similar to update-rc.d script
> for sysvinit?

I've never seen update-rc.d, but if you're asking me if I can write a
separate program that takes a list of services, each with their
"provides" and their list of "requires", into the numbers you need for
ordering those service, absolutely I can write that program. You and
Subsentient just need to give me the specification of the format of the
service/provides/requires{,requires{,requires{...}}}, and I can write
the program that turns that into numbers.

> At the moment, it looks to me that if I installed ntpd for instance,
> I have to manually edit epoch.conf and add ntpd ObjectID.

Yes. You should go onto Freenode's #epoch and talk to Subsentient. I
believe that one of his design manifesto principles is that you edit
this stuff, no GUI. But I'm pretty sure that as of a couple versions
ago, Epoch can deal with multiple config files.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2015 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key