:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Author: James Powell
To: Didier Kryn, dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
I think this might be the best option...

Have firmware only for networking devices and scsi/sata/ide controllers on the net installation disk. At least let the system support vectors be 100% or as close to 100% compatible as possible. If it is needed post-install the have it offered.

Why? Devuan needs to be far reaching to as many systems as possible.

Why? Nobody wants to download a distribution only to find their hardware isn't supported... PERIOD!

Devuan must reach the masses. Period. Devuan must show it not only is a friendly system, but is a system that is able to support it's community.

This isn't about free versus non-free. Those days are long past gone. The less a distribution supports, the more it falls away into a niche. Niche distributions do not go places or make bold statements. Devuan must be able to stand against Debian toe to toe, as well as Arch, Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.

Firmware that makes a system usable is and should always be welcomed. The more you limit, the less users you have.

What the user does to their system after installation shouldn't be a concern. What should be a concern, how many users can we win over.

If this was a true war, would you fight to win one battle, or fight to win a whole war even if it cost a battle or two?

Just food for thought.

Sent from my Windows Phone