:: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firm…
Author: Stephan Seitz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] straw poll, non-free firmware for installers
On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 10:55:37AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>    I think one could always make the following argument: I have paid
>for a device which cannot work without the firmware; therefore what I
>paid for is a set which includes hardware and firmware. Sorry but when

I am not sure if this argument works. You have paid for a device with
drivers for the operating systems this vendor supports. I don’t think you
have any rights to claim the firmware or technical specifications to
develop drivers for other operating systems.

>I buy a car, it is a package which includes the key; otherwise I
>wouldn't buy it.

But the vendor gives you the car and the key. And you can only use the
car on the roads the vendor has build the car for (at least if you want
the car to survive some years ;-) like the computer vendor can tell you
under which operating systems his device will work.

Shade and sweet water!

    Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse@??? |