:: Re: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from com…
Author: Jonathan Wilkes
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] OT: separate GUI from commands
On 05/31/2015 04:23 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 2015 08:51:58 -0400
> Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:58:55PM -0400, Jude Nelson wrote:
>> (II) Lua
>>
>> Lua is also popular as a scripting language. I believe it was
>> *designed* as a scripting language.

[...]

> Its easy to implement
> closures make some pretty complex stuff easy.

Closures ftw.

But I'd be less worried about language choice, and more about defining
the problem to be solved. Right now it sounds like an interpreted GUI
scripting library with hooks for popular scripting languages, and with
interchangeable GUI toolkit backends. And like Gnome's global app menu,
even if you get something up and running it's essentially just a toy unless
you get a critical mass of apps to adopt it.

It'd almost be easier to just start with the terminal and make it slightly
more friendly. Like clicking the window-button to get a simple little
app-launching interface. Then use Scheme as a scripting language to
design a little adventure-style AI for everything else the user could
want.

Where do you want to go today?
> show me slashdot

Don't you have work to get done?
> show me slashdot

There's only one more entry than the last time you procrastinated.
> show me slashdot

Whatever the topic you know it's just going to devolve into a systemd
hatefest
> exit

There are still 1 active jobs
> ^c