:: [Dng] Managing packages from multip…
Author: Anto
To: dng
Subject: [Dng] Managing packages from multiple repositories
Hello Everybody,

As you might have noticed from my posts on this mailing list, I have
been trying to have a set of packages that I want to use that are free
of anything related to systemd. That involves cherry-picking packages
from multiple repositories including the local unsigned ones that I
re-compiled after "cleaning them up".

For my VPS' or servers with minimal install, that is easily achievable
by setting the preferences according to the version, origin, release,
etc. But for desktops, it looks to me that it is harder to manage and
maintain them, even there are only 4 desktops in my household. So I am
thinking to have my own package management application.

I have just been reading
https://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository, and it looks like
Aptly (http://www.aptly.info/doc/overview/) is easier to handle. Does
anybody use it? If so, would you care to share your experience in term
of its advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cheers,

Anto