:: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed…
Author: Roger Leigh
To: Isaac Dunham, Jaret Cantu
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A novice attempt to speed up Devuan development
On 17/05/2015 22:38, Isaac Dunham wrote:> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at
12:38:59PM -0400, Jaret Cantu wrote:
>> PATH="/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"
>>
>> Probably not a wise decision. I just threw in the one absolute path

since
>> that is what was stopping me from booting (since it appeared before the
>> modified PATH, which I had added earlier).
>
> While that probably works for most people, it isn't quite up to the level
> that Debian expected formerly:
>
> Anything before mountall, networking, and mountnfs.sh should not use

paths
> under /usr, because /usr could be a (possibly remote) mount.
> Configuring /dev with something in /usr is particularly bad;
> coincidentally, eudev was forked partly because systemd-udev started
> complaining about configurations with a separate /usr.
>
> On configuration files:
> Roger Leigh would probably know the proper way to handle this.
> You might try looking at the "microcode.ctl" package source, or sysvinit.

Note that a goal for jessie was to have /usr mounted before init starts.
/usr should be mounted in the initramfs; if you're not using an
initramfs, you can't use a separate /usr any more.

I did write a set of patches for initramfs-tools and initscripts to make
/usr get mounted in the initramfs, which are these:

These did get applied for Jessie, though I wasn't involved in doing
this, but there was a screwup and I think it's currently broken if
you're not running systemd:

If this isn't working for you, it's likely because in the above bug it
was explicitly disabled for the sysvinit/initscripts case, rather than
fixing whatever the problem was properly. So really, that's what needs
addressing I think. In jessie you should be able to use /usr under all
circumstances, and in the original patchset I wrote this is exactly what
you got.

Regards,
Roger