:: Re: [Libbitcoin] How mature for use…
Author: Eric Voskuil
To: mlmikael
CC: libbitcoin
Subject: Re: [Libbitcoin] How mature for use is version2 now?
On 05/01/2015 04:09 AM, mlmikael wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thank you very much for your response -
>
> What's the motivation for version3?

Major version increments are a consequence of breaking changes to
non-deprecated APIs. We are planning to introduce changes to improve the
safety and ease-of-use of serialization code and to limit the use of
sentinel instances. This is part of work in progress to evolve the
libbitcoin-blockchain implementation to support libbitcoin-protocol.
That is an effort to improve the privacy of the current
libbitcoin-server (obelisk) protocol.

> (And the motivation for version2 over version1 was just that version1
> was to some extent improvised, like any library and API is, and ideas of
> how to do things better, cleaner, faster lead to v2 right?)

The version2 increment was the result of the isolation of
libbitcoin-blockchain and libbitcoin-node from libbitcoin. This was
designed to decouple server and client libraries. At the same time it
was the result of the rewrite of SX (v1) as BX (v2). The version2
branches of the server stack (blockchain, node, server) have yet to be
released.