:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update
Author: Anto
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update
On 14/04/15 17:48, Jude Nelson wrote:
> Hi Anto,
>
>     Thanks a lot for all your efforts on this.

> My pleasure :)
>

>     It looks like we are getting closer now, or at least to be able to
>     compile vdev as a deb package. And it seems the only package that
>     needs to be re-compile is initramfs. Do you think it is reasonable
>     now to start packaging vdev?

> There are still a few things to be done before I'd recommend using it
> regularly (i.e. outside of a VM):
> * finish the remaining device scripts (in particular, scripts for
> setting up LVM).
> * integrate vdev, mdev, udev, static /dev, and other device management
> strategies into Devuan's alternatives system.
> * fork Debian's initramfs-tools to use the alternatives system to
> figure out which device manager's files (if any) to include in the
> initramfs.
> * finish designing, writing and testing libudev-compat with
> applications that depend on libudev0 or libudev1 (this one's pretty
> open-ended still).
>

>     or did anybody try it already?

> I'm using it as the device manager in my copy of the alpha Vagrant
> image, and others have tested it locally (but not for booting,
> AFAIK). I'm working on getting it to boot the the qcow2 image, which
> boots from LVM.
>
> Thanks,
> -Jude

Thanks Jude,

I am not sure if at this stage, it is worth it to report the problems
that I have just experienced.

I followed your 3 steps instruction to have vdev on the PC that I am
currently using for writing this email (HP EliteBook 8530w), and
surprisingly it does not work (yet) :)

Before anyone ask: no, this is not a "production" PC as I have been
beating it up so bad in the last 3 years since I got it used from the
company I work for.

In the grub.cfg, I used the same set of files as the ones from the
running kernel generated by update-initramfs, except the initrd that I
took from the "example" directory under vdev source directory.

It booted the initrd, but just ended up on the (initramfs) prompt. It is
hard to get the error messages during boot. I tried to record them using
my mobile phone and the messages at the beginning are the following:

/init:  line 175:  resolve_device:  not found
00071:859055872:  [          vdev.c:0425]  vdev_init:  ERROR:
vdev_config_load('/etc/vdev/vdevd.conf')  rc = -2
00071:859055872:  [         main.c:0042]  main:  ERROR:  vdev_init rc = -2

<some messages that are too fast to be captured>

The last messages that I could see on the screen are about "modprobe:
modules <some modules> not found in modules.dep".

If you needed more information, I am quite happy to provide them.

Cheers,

Anto