:: Re: [Dng] dev-list
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [Dng] dev-list
On Wed, 8 Apr 2015 19:16:34 -0400
Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI <renaud@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 05:44:41 +0800
> Robert Storey <robert.storey@???> wrote:
>
> > Which begs the question: should we just retire the mailing
> > list(s) and start using the forum?
>
> Please dont; with a mailing list one can keep locally the messages
> that seem interesting, for later reference.
>
> If you are dead keen on a forum, at least please go for one of those
> that are ambivalent, and can be accessed as a forum as well as
> distribute all postings as emails. Cheers,

I agree. With mailing lists, posts come to you, you don't go out looking
for the posts. With mailing lists, it's dead bang easy to send to the
proper folders, and easy to send individuals to /dev/null if
appropriate.

I think splitting the list solves a problem we don't have. We had one
or two threads that got too hot. That's it. I'd say the loss of easy
communication between devs and users isn't worth being rid of those one
or two hot threads.

Someone mentioned marking something with [dev]. So if one wants to talk
about how to configure their desktop, does (s)he mark that with [dev],
or relegate it to the chatter channel to be discussed with opinions of
the init system that shall not be mentioned? Neither is completely
appropriate or efficient.

My daddy always told me that if I'm not part of the solution, I'm
part of the problem, so in order to be part of the solution, I make the
following pledge to make sure I don't cause or continue conflict or
noise on Dng:

1) I will not respond, at least on-list, to any thread discussing the
merits or shames of systemd. I will either ignore, respond offlist, or
filter and move on.

2) If discussing init systems, I will confine myself to their
technicalities and possible concerns about future changes.

3) I will be nice in my on-list responses.

4) Any "don't feed the troll" responses I give will be offlist.

Debian separated the user list from the devs, and we all saw where that
led. Lets try to make our one and only list a good one for everyone.

Steve

Steve Litt
Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28