:: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Isaac Dunham
To: Jude Nelson
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Betreff: Re: [Dng] [dng] vdev status update
On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 05:22:55PM -0400, Jude Nelson wrote:
> > core
> >
> > Currently, it doesn't *report* devices; that takes something longer term,
> > like inotify, polling a netlink socket, or listening to a daemon.
> >
> > It also has no clue about events or hardware that could not have a
> > corresponding device, since it uses block/char and major:minor to find
> > the hardware.
> >
> > I have a general idea of how to get information like this, by recursing
> > through /sys or /dev, and I know of some code I could use as a starting
> > point, but I don't know what the ideal format is.
> > If someone points me at a program they'd like to use without libudev
> > (preferably C with minimal dependencies) that doesn't cover a lot of
> > ground (ie, it's clear what functionality udev provides, and I wouldn't
> > need to duplicate much of libudev to get it working), that would be a
> > good starting point for expanding libsysdev.
> >

> You might find something useful in vdev_linux_sysfs_register_devices() and
> vdev_linux_sysfs_find_devices() functions in vdevd/os/linux.c. They're
> both involved in generating the initial coldplug device listing. They only
> need libc to work, and libvdev/sglib.h for basic data structures.

I know how to get the devices that show up in /dev;
I'm not sure about getting the sysfs entries that *don't* show up there.
I'm also not sure how anything beyond this is used.

> > recommend
> > filesystem I
> > (it
> > Hmm...
> > Do we need to have a subdirectory of the mountpoint?
> > Could you just use ACLs if you need to make a limited subset available?
> > I get the impression that we can do this for mdev via a script along
> > these lines:
>

> > FILENAME=`env | sha512sum | cut -d' ' -f1`
> > for f in /dev/uevents/*
> >         do env >"$f"/$FILENAME
> > done

> > but it would be *nicer* if we only needed to write one file.
> >

> I agree that one file per event is ideal (or even a circular logfile of
> events, if we could guarantee only one writer). However, I'm not sure yet
> what a fine-grained ACL for device events would look like. My motivation
> for per-client directories is that unprivileged clients can be made to see
> only its own events and no one else's by default (i.e. by chmod'ing the
> directory to 0700), and that they make it easy reason about sending
> post-processed events only to the clients you want--just change the list of
> directories to iterate over in that for-loop :)

Which is not trivial in shell, unless you have a special command to do
the work of figuring out which which directories get what.
...which seems to make doing this in shell pointless, since the
corresponding C is nearly as trivial.

> > Also, wouldn't mounting that with runfs result in records of uevents
> > getting erased if they're written by a helper rather than a daemon?
> >

> Yes; good catch. There are a couple straightforward ways to address this:
> (1) have a separate, unprivileged device-event-log daemon curate
> /dev/uevents/ and have the helper scripts forward device events to it, or
> (2) fork and/or patch runfs to allow files to persist if they're generated
> by a certain whitelist of programs (i.e. all programs in a particular set
> of directories, like /lib/vdev/), but disappear otherwise once the creating
> process dies.

What about (3) having an option for runfs that lets it erase directories
(with their subentries) on process termination, but lets regular files
persist until then?

> Thanks for your feedback!
> -Jude

You're welcome.