:: Re: [Dng] What do you guys think ab…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: KatolaZ
To: Joel Roth
CC: dng
Betreff: Re: [Dng] What do you guys think about "Suggest" and "Recommends" dependency?
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 09:40:41PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

[cut]

> Note that for a minimal dependencies default, the options to
> apt-get are not ideal. We have these two options related to
> the dependency graph.
>
>        --no-install-recommends
>            Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for installing.
>            Configuration Item: APT::Install-Recommends.

>        --install-suggests
>            Consider suggested packages as a dependency for installing.
>            Configuration Item: APT::Install-Suggests.

> Looks like we need to add this:
>
>        --install-recommends
>            Consider recommended packages as a dependency for installing.
>            Configuration Item: APT::Install-Recommends.

AFAIR the default policy in Debian (up to wheezy) was to have
Recommends installed, but not Suggests. This seems a sensible strategy
in many cases, since usually Recommends are packages which are
actually *necessary* to some functionality of a package (and many
users would be disappointed in discovering that most of the things
that "are just there" automagically when you apt-get install
something, won't be there if you don't bring in Recomennds). But that
has not been the policy of Ubuntu (at least in the very few early
releases), which had --install-suggests on by default (I don't know
what happend to Ubuntu after Hoary, to be honest ;))

Anyway, I second the addition of an explicit --install-recommends,
which would be more clear that --no-install-recommends=no

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]