:: Re: [Dng] Any plans to provide xini…
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Jaromil
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] Any plans to provide xinit without the systemd hacks?
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 10:14:17AM +0200, Jaromil wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Jude Nelson wrote:
>
> >    Hey Isaac,
> >    So, I'm looking at startx here:
> >    *[1]http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xinit/tree/startx.cpp
> >    Where's the offending block of code?* Is it lines 191-200?

> Looks like it.

Yes.

Debian packaging is at:
git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-xorg/app/xinit

Maybe
---a/startx.cpp
+++b/startx.cpp
-#ifdef __linux__
+#if defined(__linux__) && defined(HAVE_SYSTEMD)

and add a stanza to configure.ac that will check for presence of the
systemd development stuff OR --with-systemd, and if detected will add
-DHAVE_SYSTEMD to CPP_FILES_FLAGS.

(I could probably add that and see if upstream will take it...)

Or, perhaps it would be better to add a runtime check such that if logind
is running, that stuff happens.

> >    Looking at the commit history
> >    ([2]http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xinit/log/), it doesn't
> >    look like startx sees many changes these days.* It should be easy
> >    to keep a separate startx script around, if you don't want it
> >    starting X on your current tty.

> I think we should satisfy Isaac's request. I stopped using startx long
> ago, but I'd be also annoyed to have it starting on the launched tty,
> clearly recalling I did use startx in place of xinit mostly to not have
> it polluted.
>
> I also cannot understand the sense of this somewhat insane thing
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xinit/tree/cpprules.in
> And would feel much better to know that we maintain such a script, or
> even rewrite it.

It's a snippet of makefile, presumably included somehow or other. The
logic there seems obvious to me:

sed rules: delete lines begining with "# " and a number, or "#line"
directives; change XCOMM/XHASH to # (as imake does); and apparently
change "@@$$" to "\".

SUFFIXES and below:
let "make filename" create filename from filename.cpp by running this:
cpp ${TRADITIONALCPPFLAGS} ${CPP_FILES_FLAGS} filename.cpp | \
    sed -e .... >filename

HTH,
Isaac Dunham