:: [Dng] Claim your power
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: Devuan project
Subject: [Dng] Claim your power
Hi!

As a honest feedback:

Currently I do not read much of the threads here.

Cause again and again I see language like systemd being like a cancer or
infecting people´s systems.

It is neither a cancer, nor does it infect systems.

What this kind of language mirrors in my eyes is fear of having to put up
with systemd at some point.

Yet, at any time it has been upstream developers or package maintainers
who *decided* to adopt it.

Saying that systemd is the source of all evil and we are doomed to it, is
in no way helpful for any "we want to be without systemd" efforts like
Devuan. Quite the opposite: It harms the credibility of such projects,
cause it gives the impression that those projects just consists of a bunch
of people who circulate conspirations theories about systemd *without*
doing *anything* about the situation.

So here is my plea to stay to what you actually *really* perceive. Stop
assuming intentions. Especially stop assuming bad intentions. I think that
systemd developers essentially mean it good. They have no evil plans to
take over the world or do harm to others. Instead they believe that what
they do is worthwhile.

Of course its totally and perfectly okay not to agree with that.

But please stop assuming intentions that may or may not be there. And for
your own benefit, stop using a language which gives your power away.

systemd is no cancer and it does not infect systems.

If systemd is on your system, either you installed it or upgraded it and
your distro package maintainers decided to use it.

So systemd developers, if you agree with it or not, had quite some success
in convincing others to use and rely on systemd.

Yet this is exactly what makes Devuan possible:

If you put some effort to it, like for example Jude does without engaging
much into the fear based threads so far as I have seen, *it is perfectly
possible to have a system without systemd*.

And no systemd whatsoever would infect such a system. It just doesn´t have
the power to do it. Its a piece of code. It has no power whatsoever on its
own. Its no evil critter which just sits next to computer and waits for a
chance to take it over.

And if you are constructive and positive in your approach, and your
systems provides a good alternative, then more may adopt it in the future.

Yes, some upstream developers decided to rely on functionality provided by
systemd and some depend on it, instead of making it optional. And yes, I
see this development with concern. But it is still a decision. No
automatic effect.

systemd has absolutely and totally *no* power over you.

systemd upstream has absolutely and totally *no* power over you.

I want to repeat this:

Neither systemd nor systemd upstream have any power over you.

This is still *free* software.

Stop giving your power away.

Instead: Claim it. Claim it by using a language that is free of self-
defeating patterns like that. A language that puts back the responsibility
in your hands.

Feel your fear, appreciate it, and by that unlock the power you locked
down in it.

You have any power in the world to support any efforts to have a systemd
free system.

So now choose: In what way do you want to spend your energy?

Did any of the talk about systemd being a cancer or infecting people´s
system do *any* good to change the situation? Did it work? Or do efforts
like the one of Jude with vdev any good to change the situation? Does it
work?

Do more of what works, and instead of repeating patterns that are
ineffective in changing your current situation, do something that works as
well.

Or if you do not want to invest the time, let others do it and be grateful
about it instead of filling this list with powerless and self-defeating
thought patterns.

(That said I think cancer usually is no death sentence either and there
are quite powerful approaches in addition or as alternative to academic
medicine to deal with it. And I believe that there are ways to help the
body to deal with any kind of infection.)

Ciao,