:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Anto
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?

On 20/03/15 21:08, Steve Litt wrote:
> Anto,
>
> You're absolutely right. So let me modify my idea...
>
> If anybody *chooses* to integrate an app with any direct or indirect
> systemd dependencies, that person must put their package in the
> "contaminated" or "quarantine" repository, and that person is
> responsible for all its systemd dependent packages, which must also
> reside in the quarantine repository. Absolutely no systemd dependent
> code should reside in the main repository, unless it's a temporary
> thing until we make the alternative.

Hello Steve,

Wouldn't it be easier, efficient and less head ache for that person to
use Debian or other distros, rather than trying to integrate the apps
and maintain them in Devuan then gets bombarded with swearing and
rejections from Devuan developers and users? I think I still have pride,
so I will definitely do not want to be that person.

> And Anto, I think you also captured something important when you
> implied that Devuan shouldn't *encourage* packaging of things that
> depend on systemd. I think people can live without Gnome, and if
> it later becomes necessary, Gimp and Gnumeric too.

I think we don't need to totally avoid packages that are contaminated.
It would be quite hard to live in an isolated community, rhetorically
speaking.

I am not a C programmer. I know a bit of programming. I think it is
highly probable to have to strip out the "contaminated" components from
those kind of packages. If stripping out would mean loosing too much of
the functionalities, we could get away with forking the dependencies. I
think there are quite a lot of examples of this. In term of Gnome, that
would be Cinnamon and Mate. But unfortunately, they are going in circle
from what I understood so far.

Cheers,

Anto