:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 20:07:05 +0100
Anto <aryanto@???> wrote:

> On 20/03/15 16:56, Go Linux wrote:
> > On Fri, 3/20/15, Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:
> >
> >   Le 19/03/2015 21:15, Steve Litt a écrit :
> >> If anyone want's Gnome for Devuan, let that be in a "contaminated"
> >> repository (and yes, that's what I believe it should be called),
> >       Hi steve.

> >       As discussed in another thread, there are certainly other
> > packages affected by the big-brother syndrom, or other diseases.
> > Therefore a generic method is necessary to put them apart. I
> > already proposed to restrict the definition of "free software" with
> > new criteria, beyond open-source and free redistribution. Packages
> > needing systemd library would then fall by this criteria in the
> > non-free repository.

> >       For badly infected packages like systemd itself, if they were
> > provided, there could even be a dramatic warning in the
> > description, in the anti-tobaco fashion, "Systemd is against
> > freedom".

> >       Didier

> > I support this idea. Put all the systemd stuff in a 'quarantine'
> > repo with the appropriate 'use at your own risk' caveats.
> >
> > golinux
>
> If I would be a developer of Devuan with strong voice, I would not
> even bother allocating space to hold that "contaminated" or
> "quarantine" repository in Devuan. Who will maintain those
> repositories like updating them with patches? I definitely do not
> want to spend any second to maintain that. Why should I? I forked
> Debian because of those "contaminated" packages. So I don't want them
> in Devuan *at all* as I will build Devuan without *any* dependencies
> to systemd components and anything that depends on them. If my users
> demanded that, I will just tell them to use Debian or other distros.
>
> Well... Fortunately, I am not that developer. So I don't have the
> head ache dealing with demands and requests from Devuan users,
> including satisfying them with minimal risk of being called dictator.

Anto,

You're absolutely right. So let me modify my idea...

If anybody *chooses* to integrate an app with any direct or indirect
systemd dependencies, that person must put their package in the
"contaminated" or "quarantine" repository, and that person is
responsible for all its systemd dependent packages, which must also
reside in the quarantine repository. Absolutely no systemd dependent
code should reside in the main repository, unless it's a temporary
thing until we make the alternative.

And Anto, I think you also captured something important when you
implied that Devuan shouldn't *encourage* packaging of things that
depend on systemd. I think people can live without Gnome, and if
it later becomes necessary, Gimp and Gnumeric too.

SteveT