:: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Devuan commitments - will trade-off be applied?
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 09:40:43 -1000
Joel Roth <joelz@???> wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > What would especially float my boat, once there's a truly
> > depoetterized Devuan, is to have the package manager warn me at 160
> > decibles if I decide to install something that pulls in any systemd
> > code, because if there's a way to run without systemd code, that's
> > how I want to run, even if it means someday I can no longer use
> > Gnumeric or Gimp.
> >
> > Let me give an analogy that's absolutely offtopic here, I use it
> > only as an analogy. Three years ago, I made a policy that no KDE
> > library or software would ever exist on any of Troubleshooters.Com
> > computers, any computers owned by Steve Litt, or any computers
> > owned by family members who expected me to be their IT department.
> > For the most part, I simply never install a package beginning with
> > "k". But once in a while I install an excellent sounding package,
> > only to see it starting to pull in KDE Krap, have to Ctrl+C out of
> > it, and then go back and painstakingly remove everything my install
> > put there. My life would have been easier if the package manager
> > told me THIS PACKAGE HAS KDE REQUIREMENTS, PROCEED N/y.
>
> apt-get gives a list of packages to be installed, and how
> many MB of software is involved. That is a good solution
> for 90% if not 99% of users.
>
> If you really want to avoid KDE|systemd|bloatware
> Probably you could hack apt using pining or similar
> technique to prevent bloatware-base from ever being
> installable, thereby preventing any bloatware based
> libraries from being installed.
>
> In that case, it wouldn't be optional.
>
> I think apt-get sources are perl, so should be
> easy to hack on.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joel

Hi Joel,

I'm sure everything you say above is true (I'm not positive because I'm
not a package manager authority), and that's great for the use case of
my personal hatred of KDE.

In the case of Devuan, systemd is a special case, indeed, the reason
for Devuan's existance, so I think a no brainer, idiot lite solution
would be appropriate for systemd, so that even those, like me, who know
nothing but "apt-get install great_sounding_app" get warned.

SteveT