:: Re: [Dng] Combatting revisionist hi…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [Dng] Combatting revisionist history
On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:05:44 -0500
Neo Futur <dng@???> wrote:

> > If I had to point the finger at Linux's greatest failing, it is the
> > expectation that users want others to do all of the work compiling
> > and packaging and then they want to complain that that someone else
> > made a choice that they didn't like.
> well i wont say that as a gentoo user ;)

I'd like to take a crack at this.

If somebody builds me a house to live in, I have no business
criticizing the house. I can move in or not.

Contrast the preceding with this:

Somebody built me the house, and I moved in. I like the house.

Several years later, a group partially comprised of the same group that
built the house reduce the roof's slope to the point where rain blows
under the shingles and leaks all over my possessions. I'm definitely
going to tell them "don't break my house!"

I'm going to yell "don't break my house" very loudly. And if they
continue to, because they can, I'll either find ways, that they
can't touch, to waterproof the house (runit, Epoch, wpa_supplicant),
or move to a house they can't touch (DNG).

Instructing them how to build the house is pure, lazy ingratitude.
Telling them not to break what already is built is a good thing. If
they want to destroy things, they shouldn't call it "work".

SteveT