:: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Neo Futur
À: Jaromil
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots linux and the logo WAS Re: Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11
>> its a general philosophy of design and openness
> FYI, I'm busy on such a topic for my Ph.D dissertation and will be happy
> to share the results once finished.

and I ll be happy to read and comment ;)

>> > it is more about principles. Let's list some:
>> >
>> > - freedom of choice,
>> > - interchangealility of solutions to a given need,
>> > - reduce inter-dependencies to the strict minimum
>> I keep those 3 for my idea of a "roots linux" foundation
> let me recommend you use the term GNU/Linux. Probably even more than the
> Linux kernel development, it is the GNU project that kept alive such
> principles of design in user-space.

yes you are rigt and I know it; i ve been trying to say gnu/inux for
years, but not everything is gnu on this linux system . . . perhaps I
should say FOSS/linux or libre/linux . . .or, well, now its going to
be systemd-linux . . .

> also please consider the Dyne.org foundation as an ally in your quest to
> start a new foundation, or perhaps as an existing device you can use to
> bring forward the activities you intend to promote with your idea of a
> foundation.
> Managing an institutional shell for free software projects is an effort
> that can well be shared, if transparence on intentions and coincidence
> of ideals is there.

for now its just an idea I have, something I feel logical and
necessary , trying to gather the people from devuan, from gentoo, from
eudev, mdev, consolekit2, trios, trinity and probably many more
projects.

> If you like to share, I'd be interested in knowing what you envision
> would be the activities such a foundation should carry on. Even when
> talking about philosophy and design I think it is very important to
> bring examples and concrete projects that are vectors for people's
> action.

as I said its just an idea i want to share, hoping that more people
will think its something that could be useful for the good cause.

at the very least, i think the goal and activities of this possible
foundation should be :

* trying to help funding necessary developments, through sponsors and donations
* trying to get people from different projects to work together on the
necessary alternatives, trying to gather efforts one one udev
alternative ( eudev ? ) , on one logind atlternative ( consolekit2 ?
), on one init system alternative ( openrc ? )
* trying to better define the goals and philosophy we defend ( I d say
kiss, architecture allowing alternatives most everywhere, one small
brick doing only one thing but doing well, easy to understand and
customize stuff, what else ? )

once again those are just personal ideas, the foundation could be
whatever people think could be useful or necessary for the cause, i
dont even plan to make this foundation myself, I just want people to
think of it ;)

>> great idea, KISS is a short and simple word that could summarize most
>> of the important ideas, a kiss, for you, from the roots of linux
>> could be an idea for a logo !
>
> I guess this isn't the best way to introduce Devuan to the public: its a
> bit too pretextuous to incarnate the roots of the Linux kernel
> development.

well we could say the roots of UNIX. Once again, i have to admin when
i say linux, i dont think of the kernel, but as the whole system the
is a new unix, i say linux like you could say solaris or aix

> We are still struggling to produce an alpha and I wish our
> communication reflects the current phase of the progress rather than
> more ideals than those we already stated in the public and that also
> raised some educated skepticism and criticism as they weren't yet based
> on concrete achievements.

agreed, i m anxiously waiting for a beta to try and test on my
thinkpad laptop, after that i plan to contribute by maintaining a
grsec kernel.

> Said that, I hope this message does not discourage you, but helps
> channel the enthusiasm in good productive ways.

not at all, intelligent criticism is always welcome, and anyway . .
.even insults cant discourage me when I think something is
fair/rightful/needed ;)

but once again its just an idea i want to share, hoping other people
will be interested.