:: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Didier Kryn
À: dng@lists.dyne.org
Sujet: Re: [Dng] [philosophy] KISS, roots linux and the logo WAS Re: Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11

Le 24/02/2015 10:49, Jaromil a écrit :
> dear Neo Futur,
>
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Neo Futur wrote:
>
>> >its a general philosophy of design and openness
> FYI, I'm busy on such a topic for my Ph.D dissertation and will be happy
> to share the results once finished.

>> > I keep those 3 for my idea of a "roots linux" foundation
> let me recommend you use the term GNU/Linux. Probably even more than the
> Linux kernel development, it is the GNU project that kept alive such
> principles of design in user-space.
>
> also please consider the Dyne.org foundation as an ally in your quest to
> start a new foundation, or perhaps as an existing device you can use to
> bring forward the activities you intend to promote with your idea of a
> foundation.
>
> Managing an institutional shell for free software projects is an effort
> that can well be shared, if transparence on intentions and coincidence
> of ideals is there.
>
> If you like to share, I'd be interested in knowing what you envision
> would be the activities such a foundation should carry on. Even when
> talking about philosophy and design I think it is very important to
> bring examples and concrete projects that are vectors for people's
> action.
>
>> > great idea, KISS is a short and simple word that could summarize most
>> > of the important ideas, a kiss, for you, from the roots of linux
>> > could be an idea for a logo !
> I guess this isn't the best way to introduce Devuan to the public: its a
> bit too pretextuous to incarnate the roots of the Linux kernel
> development. We are still struggling to produce an alpha and I wish our
> communication reflects the current phase of the progress rather than
> more ideals than those we already stated in the public and that also
> raised some educated skepticism and criticism as they weren't yet based
> on concrete achievements.
>
> Said that, I hope this message does not discourage you, but helps
> channel the enthusiasm in good productive ways.
>
> ciao

     Sorry guys, I think I introduced confusion with the word "logo".
This is because there was a previous discussion about a "badge", which I
understood as something like "Powered by XX", "GNU inside", "Viewable
with any browser", or "POSIX-compliant". I was not speaking of Devuan's
logo at all.

     Inevitably, the idea of a badge leads to a foundation entitled to
stamp distros with the badge. I am wondering if only a clear phrasing of
the principles would be enough, without the impediments and the
sectarism of a foundation.

     Didier