:: Re: [Dng] three important UI featur…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
New-Topics: [Dng] wicd & wpasupplicant (WAS: Re: three important UI features
Subject: Re: [Dng] three important UI features

Le 22/02/2015 21:11, Jonathan Wilkes a écrit :

> 1) In the default desktop environment for Devuan, will there be an
> icon or other discoverable item the user can click to see a list of
> available wifi network connections?
> 2) When the DE's main menu pops up, will the user be able to
> _immediately_ start typing characters and see a list of applications
> filtered to match what is being typed?
> 3) In the default desktop environment for Devuan, when the user clicks
> the "Super" key (often has the Windows icon on it) will the DEs main
> menu pop up?

     Dear Jonathan,

     Not sure everything gets installed by default. One of the bad
things of Debian and others was that a lot of applications were
installed by default, applications you don't even know they are there,
and what they are for. These apps not only take space on your disk, but
slow down or even complicate system updates by their sole presence.
Suppose you haven't a wifi interface; why would you need a gui to
configure it?

     I will only answer your first point, since I have nothing to add to
what Steve Litt replied to the others.

     For the first question, I currently use three apps, wpa_supplicant,
wpa_roam and wpa_gui, currently in two packages in Wheezy.

     wpa_supplicant talks to your wifi interface, taking instructions
from its configuration file. It selects, from the list of wifi stations
you have put in the config file, which one it can connect to. wpa_roam
is a helper application which allows the system to invoke wpa_supplicant
when your wifi interface detects a network. Description in the following
howto: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-wifi-roaming-with-wpa-supplicant/

     wpa_gui is a helper GUI to fill the configuation file. You only
need it when you must connect to a new station or something is going
wrong. It can scan the network, so that you can select a station, then
help you writing the properties of the station into the config file. You
can also use it to connect/disconnect.

     I discovered the name of wicd on this list recently. I didn't try
it, therefore I can't compare, but it looks that it has more diverse
interfaces than wpasupplicant, CLI, GUI and even Curses. I will probably
try it the first time I install Devuan on a laptop.

     I imagine neither wpasupplicant nor wicd will be infected by
Systemd, and you'll have the choice between them.

     Didier