:: [Dng] three important UI features
Author: Jonathan Wilkes
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: [Dng] three important UI features
Hello,A few questions about the GUI for Devuan...
1) In the default desktop environment for Devuan, will there be an icon or other discoverable item the user can click to see a list of available wifi network connections?2) When the DE's main menu pops up, will the user be able to _immediately_ start typing characters and see a list of applications filtered to match what is being typed?3) In the default desktop environment for Devuan, when the user clicks the "Super" key (often has the Windows icon on it) will the DEs main menu pop up?
I put these three features in order of importance for newcomers and non-technical users to have control over their machines.  #1 is vital because it makes the entire knowledge-base on the web (potentially) available for users so they can troubleshoot problems outside of network connectivity, even if they haven't a clue what an ESSID is.  #2 is important because responsive natural language searches are ubiquitous, simple to understand, explain, and remember, especially when compared with branches of app categories (which are often quite arbitrary).  #3 is certainly not vital at all, but its existence is a good indicator that the developers take usability seriously.
You may be able to guess that I currently use Gnome 3 under Debian, because Gnome 3 includes all three features that I list.  But please don't be mistaken-- I'm not looking to pitch Devuan on Gnome 3.  Rather, I have neglected to uninstall Gnome 3 because as long as it does those three things it fulfills my needs as a user.  I'd much prefer to use a distro like Devuan, where its community is reflecting upon the long-term maintainability of the system (and closely inspecting its source code).  As long as it has a default DE with the three features above, I can switch over with virtually no pain.  But more importantly, with those three features an entire class of non-technical users can have a safe, sane, and secure place from which to launch Chromium.  I'd bet a large chunk of Lenovo's userbase has a desire for just such a system atm. :)

Anyhow, if any of those three are missing under the planned system, I'd be happy to help try to rectify the situation.

Best,
Jonathan