:: [Dng] LoginKit on the pre-alpha
Author: Dima Krasner
To: dng
Subject: [Dng] LoginKit on the pre-alpha
Hello folks,

Good news on the logind front! I got the pre-alpha to play nicely with LoginKit instead of logind.

http://i.imgur.com/1PTI6L5.png

LoginKit (https://git.devuan.org/pkgs-utopia-substitution/loginkit) is an attempt to develop a shim that provides the parts of logind and libsystemd required to get some packages with a hard dependency on systemd to work without it.

Some packages (especially stuff like LightDM and GDM) depends on logind, but don't need the rest of systemd. We (and other distros, probably) definitely want major DEs and DMs to work without it, to preserve the user's freedom of choice. Therefore, LoginKit is not a complete systemd replacement, just a replacement for logind and some parts of libsystemd (libsystemd-login, libsystemd-journal and libsystemd-daemon).

It's not perfect and the only distro it works on (since ~20 mins ago :D) is Devuan (surprise, isn't it?). It allows us to kick logind (the last piece of systemd) from the stock ISO. So far, I don't see any impact on user experience, which is good.

There's a big pile of issues with LoginKit, with the most important being fixing all issues found during code review conducted by the folks at #devuan. It will take some time until this code matures, but knowing it works on the pre-alpha is pretty comforting :)

Keep up the good work!

Dima

--
Dima Krasner, dimakrasner.com