:: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consid…
Author: Nuno Magalhães
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] recommendation for consideration: keep as close to debian as possible
Assuming i don't get moderated out (unlike the resident troll),

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Luke Leighton <lkcl@???> wrote:
>  1) your debian system will not be screwed up or compromised by using
>     devuan.  you will also not lose any functionality or packages.

>  2) we understand the difficulty of maintaining an entire distro.
>     we implicitly understand that we will not get to 1,000 maintainers
>     in the immediate future, so we are being realistic and will not
>     be doing a complete fork.  it's too much effort for us, and we
>     recognise that you probably wouldn't trust us (i.e. wouldn't
>     even want to *try* upgrading to devuan) if we created one.

>  3) we're restricting the scope of what we're doing to a few key
>     strategic packages, and we're going to make it easy for you to
>     remove systemd.  that's our core focus.

This seems reasonable, as does keeping compatibility. Devuan's is a
small team, so taking one pondered step at a time is crucial. Focusing
on removing systemd dependencies as a first step seems reasonable and,
with more and more packages depending on systemd, challenging too.

I wouldn't aim at releasing a behemoth DE like GNOME on the first
Devuan release. KISS please, no GUI if necessary, focus on a plugable
infrastructure.

It makes sense to keep compatibility with Debian *and* with upstream.
Someone mentioned it already and i wouldn't be surprised if Debian
becomes poetterized and adds systemd dependencies to packages that
don't have them from upstream.

For now, it seems like a new repo on sources.list is the way to go
(similar to debian-multimedia). In the future, maybe it'll become a
distro.

My 2c
Nuno