:: [Dng] Weekly developer status updat…
Author: Jude Nelson
To: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: [Dng] Weekly developer status update (Was: Re: OT: Programming languages again.)
> The dev teams seems very quiet and isolated, which is okay - but it makes
them seem less approachable if you are on the list.

I think this is a good idea, even if only to keep me motivated :) I'll
start.

** vdev **

It's been slow-going for me these past couple weeks since I've had to
devote more time to $DAYJOB than usual. Hopefully that'll wind down in the
next couple of weeks so I can spend more time on this.

That said, I'm currently working on vdev issue #16 ("daemon
infrastructure"), and that'll be pushed sometime tonight. This will entail
adding the usual daemon boilerplate code (interfacing with syslog, init
script, run-in-foreground vs run-in-background). I'm also doing a bit of
refactoring to merge options-parsing with config-file parsing.

I'm discovering that the hard part to developing vdev is keeping it
compatible with udev. By virtue of the fact that udev is over 10 years old
and sees wide-spread use, it handles a lot of corner cases that have to be
painstakingly re-implemented.

Fortunately, vdev's architecture is amenable to doing so in a piecemeal
fashion. Once I make an alpha release, it will be possible to parcel this
work out technically-inclined individuals who encounter a regression
against udev, and can write a script that fixes it. Documentation on how
to do this will be forthcoming, but I'm happy to say that it's much simpler
to get vdev to set up your hardware than udev :)

** dbus **

I've taken up maintenance for the dbus package. It's currently at
1.8.16-1+devuan1 (the same version as Debian unstable), and includes
patches for all the latest CVEs. It also has all of the commit history and
tags imported from Debian, so you should be able to check out and build any
prior version.

** How to Import a Package from Debian **

Jaromil and I worked out a (semi-)general way to import packages from
Debian's git. Here are the steps taken for dbus (but they should work for
most packages). This brief tutorial is meant to help future maintainers
get off the ground:

$ git clone git@???:packages-base/dbus.git pkgdir # or whatever
package
$ cd pkgdir
$ git remote add debian git://anonscm.debian.org/pkg-utopia/dbus.git #
remote Debian git
$ git fetch debian
$ git checkout -b debian-upstream
$ git merge debian/master # or whatever remote branch you want--see "git
branch -r")

.... merge conflicts; we usually want to keep HEAD and disregard
debian/master ...

$ git commit -a
$ git checkout master
$ git merge debian-upstream # should cleanly fast-forward, since we
already merged into debian-upstream, which is the same as master at this
point)
$ git push
$ git tag "$DEVUAN_TAGGED_VERSION"
$ git push --tags