:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Gravis
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 10:01:15PM -0500, Gravis wrote:
> install IceWM? but-but-but it's C++, so it's large and bloated,
> right? right??? ???_???

Bloated? IceWM?
Absolutely...*if* you're comparing it to twm, jwm, or a few other such
window managers.

Here, it's +3911k installed, including esound and ttf-dejavu-core.
icewm itself is just under a megabyte, the session manager and background
setter are each a quarter of that, and the tray is a bit shy of half
a megabyte.
It's written in C++ but does not depend on libstdc++, just X11,
gdk-pixbuf, Xft, and optionally your choice of esd, alsa, or oss.

jwm and mwm are just over 300k; vtwm is 532k + librplay; ctwm is over
one and a half megs installed (+librplay); twm is 231k; herbstluftwm
is 524k; fvwm1 is 702k, and the fvwm icons are 1.6 megs.
Right now I'm actually using mwm, which was part of why I installed
Jessie (the Lesstif->Motif transition).

*box is written in C++ too.

So what do you use?
Yes, include the window manager, as well as the tray, menu, acpi/net/cpu
monitor, dock, background setter, and key-binding tools as applicable.
All of those are included in icewm (as well as virtual desktops).

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham