:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:30:58AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 07:33:51 +0200
> Martijn Dekkers <devuan-list1@???> wrote:
>
> > Whilst I am still utterly amazed with how awesome Linux servers are, I
> > don't think we will ever get there with desktops.
>
> Just for fun, try Openbox with custom key-combos, including an easy to
> hit key-combo to run dmenu. You might like to customize dmenu so its
> menu displays down the screen instead of across the top (-L).

Or just:
apt-get install icewm

Comes up and works *right* out of the box, though it might not look
like everyone's first choice (the default theme is rather gray.)

You can add shortcut keys in ~/.icewm/keys:
key "Shift+Print"                               scrot -u -b
key "Print"                                     scrot

And all the default keybindings are in the example preferences;
there are plenty of features you might not know about:
$ grep Tile ~/.icewm/preferences
# KeySysTileVertical="Alt+Shift+F2"
# KeySysTileHorizontal="Alt+Shift+F3"

In other words, you can rearrange windows with alt+shift+F2-F5,
move the top window to any corner you like with the keys bound to
KeyWinArrange*, and so on...out of the box, no customization needed.

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham