:: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has m…
Author: Patrick Erdmann
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] John Goerzen asks, "Has modern Linux lost its way?"
On 12.02.2015 15:35, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 06:21:00 +0000
> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 07:33:51AM +0200, Martijn Dekkers wrote:
>>
>> [cut]
>>

>>> Whilst I am still utterly amazed with how awesome Linux servers
>>> are, I don't think we will ever get there with desktops.
>>>

>> Agree. That's exactly why, IMHO, we should focus on what GNU/Linux
>> does better, and refrain from gladly and blindly embracing the last
>> miscarriage-piece-of-software "for the good of the large masses of
>> desktop users". Simply put, there are no large masses of desktop
>> users, and IMHO never will be, so whenever something is proposed for
>> the good of these non-existing masses, an alarm should ring in our
>> heads.....
>
> Well said KatolaZ. If they want eye-candy and software that
> incorporates human confusion, they should use Windows or Mac. For the
> person who hasn't resigned himself to being an idiot, Linux has
> Openbox, Windowmaker, LXDE, and a whole bunch of other straightforward
> user interfaces.
>
> That being said, this *is* the *Devuan* list, and our charter is
> systemd-free Debian, so even though I personally think Gnome, KDE and
> NetworkManager are stupid, we have to provide them.

Maybe not.

Just think about that: If most of "our" Work / Lifetime is spent to make
KDE, Gnome etc. compatible, possibly it would be better to provide _one_
DE and stop support for Gnome and stuff. As you said, there are
alternatives. Maybe we just need enough time to prove the world that
systemd was a wrong decission.

If i read the blog of John Goerzen it sounds like he is not agains
systemd, for me it looks like he does not fully support systemd but he
thinks it was a good decission. But the last two blog entries sounds to
me like he starts thinking that the complexity of systemd is a bad
design idea. (Same as we think).
These kind of errors are good for our community.