:: [Dng] About separate mailing lists
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Hi all,

Devuan Weekly News XI posed the following question:

Talking about something else, it seems that the list is becoming
two-fold. On one hand, it becomes concentrated on development, while
at the same time it discusses more philosophical issues. Maybe is it
the moment to separate into a dev list and a users list?

In my opinion, maybe there should be two lists, but the split shouldn't
be along user/developer lines, nor should it be along
coding/philosophical lines. Developers develop for users, and
philosophy is the foundation of code. The Debian project strictly
enforced this type of separation, and the silly CTTE decision was the
result. Debian devs stopped listening to their users, their users
forked their project, and now Debian might be superceded by Devuan. We
don't want Devuan to go down that path.

Maybe (or maybe not) we should make a new list for people (like me) who
want to continue making wisecracks about systemd, along with trolls who
want to say good things about systemd on Devuan lists. Given that the
absense of systemd in Devuan is settled law, neither of these kinds of
posts is relevant to the project's development, so nobody would suffer
if they were kept off the main list.

Summarizing the most important point I'm trying to make: In my opinion
separating philosophy and legitimate and reasonable user preference
discussions from coding discussions would be a big mistake.

SteveT