:: Re: [Dng] Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11
I think it is fine that T.J.Duchene gives his opinion, although I
disagree with him. I'm very optimistic about Systemd-free Linux, so
optimistic that I think Devuan is simply preparing the future of Debian.

     The reason why RedHat develops and enforces systemd is clear to me:
they have customers paying for a ready-made system that RedHat would
maintain. They want to increase their productivity by introducing tools
which automate things as much as possible, plus security-related
features -- a valid sales argument. It makes full sense; that's their
busyness model.

     But what are Debian maintainers/developpers working for? OK they
try to provide an OS that's usable out of the box, but for who?
Everybody, they claim, but this includes primarily people like
themselves, geeks and hackers. And they likely will see geeks and
hackers run away. Debian has taken a very wrong decision but they're
going to have chances to change it.

     Didier