:: Re: [Dng] Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue …
Author: R.M. Thomas
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Dng Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11
On 03/02/15 07:04, dng-request@??? wrote:

> Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 00:21:06 -0600
> From: t.j.duchene@???
> To: dng@???
> Subject: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
>
> On Monday, February 02, 2015 11:32:52 PM dng-request@??? wrote:
>> Devuan is probably going to have to provide some form of
>>
>>> compatibility in the future. This will be the case, regardless of how
>>> you or I might feel on the subject, especially if kdbus gets
>>> integrated into the Linux kernel. If that happens, it might as well
>>> be "game over" for systems that do not provide at least a shim.
>>
>> By all means then, let Devuan provide a shim, at least in the short
>> run.
>>
>>> I think that uselessd or FreeBSD's compatibility projects are
>>> probably the most likely solutions.
>>
>> And you're on this list why?
>>
>> Seriously, T.J. why?
>

> Hey, Steve!
>
> Don't get me wrong here, I'm just expressing the _opinion_ that Systemd
> compatibility is going to be a greater problem down the road, especially since
> it seems likely that upstream projects, including the Linux kernel itself
> (via kdbus) are headed in the direction that they are.
>
> I was suggesting that some way of trapping systemd calls and resolving them
> will have to become a part of the system, even if Devuan does not have systemd
> itself. Otherwise, a lot of code is going to be have to dropped from the
> distribution or forked as time goes on.
>
> I was suggesting that systembsd's efforts might be of value in this area.
>
> Apparently, just saying that is annoying some people, and I apologize for
> that. Perhaps you are right, and it would be best if I kept my opinions to
> myself.

T.J.'s opinions make a lot of sense to me and I suspect also to others
reading this list. Many people who have in the past relied upon Debian
Linux as a solid platform for doing productive work are now looking at
various alternatives in the face of the systemd phenomenon, and some of
these people are sure to be subscribing to the DNG mailing list in the
hope of seeing some good news.

I suppose FreeBSD is the obvious first destination for Debian refugees,
and personally I am actively exploring that solution at the moment. But
it would be very nice indeed if the Devuan project can be made to
succeed, as Devuan would provide an attractive way of leveraging the
ongoing vigorous development of the Linux kernel. I should remark that
I am prepared to do more than wish the Devuan project well: in the
longer term I am willing to assist actively in testing and coding if it
turns out that I am capable of contributing positively.

--Mike