:: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Author: t.j.duchene
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
On Monday, February 02, 2015 11:32:52 PM dng-request@??? wrote:
> Devuan is probably going to have to provide some form of
>
> > compatibility in the future. This will be the case, regardless of how
> > you or I might feel on the subject, especially if kdbus gets
> > integrated into the Linux kernel. If that happens, it might as well
> > be "game over" for systems that do not provide at least a shim.
>
> By all means then, let Devuan provide a shim, at least in the short
> run.
>
> > I think that uselessd or FreeBSD's compatibility projects are
> > probably the most likely solutions.
>
> And you're on this list why?
>
> Seriously, T.J. why?

Hey, Steve!

Don't get me wrong here, I'm just expressing the _opinion_ that Systemd
compatibility is going to be a greater problem down the road, especially since
it seems likely that upstream projects, including the Linux kernel itself
(via kdbus) are headed in the direction that they are.

I was suggesting that some way of trapping systemd calls and resolving them
will have to become a part of the system, even if Devuan does not have systemd
itself. Otherwise, a lot of code is going to be have to dropped from the
distribution or forked as time goes on.

I was suggesting that systembsd's efforts might be of value in this area.

Apparently, just saying that is annoying some people, and I apologize for
that. Perhaps you are right, and it would be best if I kept my opinions to
myself.