:: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Author: tilt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] What's new in Systemd
Hello!

Am 03.02.2015 um 00:21 schrieb T.J. Duchene:
> [...]
> Of course, it is also possible that Devuan will become a
> "systemd-free" specialty distribution that follows your
> suggestion of absolute minimalism. I don't see that being a
> good niche, since there are already plenty to fill that area.

About Minimalism: Minimalism of effort should be practised
to not tie too much capacity to an already unwelcome problem.

Being in a niche already filled by plenty: The freedom not
to use SystemD architecture should be preserved for Debian,
too, and I think this justifies the effort.

Please remember we are no "sworn enemies of SystemD", of the
project, its members or contributors or the motivations,
ideas or even intentions it tries to implement.

Having worked as an admin, the idea of having services that
always have manageable state, because there is a "system"
in place that enforces that they are, has appeal.

But if the price for that is that instead of a messy service
management I have a completely messed up userspace, entangled
into a single megaproject where some remote business entity
decides on "supported ways" of getting things done, I rather
choose not to. I have such systems at my disposal already and
don't need Linux to become one more of those.

Kind regards,
tilt.