:: [Dng] UEFI, GPT
Author: Robert Storey
To: dng
Subject: [Dng] UEFI, GPT
Steve Litt said:

> I've heard anecdotes of the UEFI system writing to persistant memory on
> the motherboard in a way that an app misusing UEFI could brick the
> motherboard. Therefore, the only time I use UEFI is when I absolutely
> must have Windows on the laptop, and the Windows that came on the
> laptop requires UEFI.

Steve, I did some follow-up on this issue, and I see what you're talking
about. It's an issue that effects some Samsung laptops, but may affect
others:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1234580

Good to know about, and somewhat cools my enthusiasm for UEFI and GPT. But
we'll still probably have to learn to live with UEFI/GPT, because it's now
the default setup on so many machines, especially laptops, and there are
those who think they must have Windows installed alongside Linux.

Though I live without Windows just fine, I need to help others who still
haven't quite kicked the habit. So I'll continue my experiment with
UEFI/GPT dual-booting, and hopefully will find a way to make it work with
Devuan.