:: Re: [Dng] libsysdev preview
Author: Isaac Dunham
To: Jude Nelson
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [Dng] libsysdev preview
On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 08:56:10PM -0500, Jude Nelson wrote:
> Regarding the architecture, I have a design document here:
> http://judecnelson.blogspot.com/2015/01/introducing-vdev.html Is this what
> you're looking for? Or did you want a more low-level document describing
> the implementation details?

I was asking about implementation details (something like the HACKING
document that many projects have, giving an overview of how it works
internally).

Being mainly acquainted with C, I might not be able to follow it myself,
but it may well be useful for people who want to contribute.

> Regarding whitespace, my style is based on Stroustrup's adaptation of K&R.
> I add whitespace where I do because it helps me read code better and add
> comments.

Ah.
I find that the Linux kernel style (also based on K&R) seems most clear
to me; it seems quite different on the surface.
(Styles are styles, though. There's always variation.)

> Looking forward to seeing what you do with libsysdev :) I'm seriously
> considering moving libudev-compat out of vdev entirely, and having it use
> libsysdev as a backend (either way, I don't want it to be coupled to vdev).

I'm getting the impression that libsysdev won't really make a good
backend for the udev API; libudev is a much more low-level interface,
with somewhat different logical division and flow.
(Abstractly, I'd be happy if it did work. But wasting time for the sake
of promoting libsysdev isn't going to help replace udev.)

Thanks for the comments!

Isaac Dunham