:: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
Author: Clarke Sideroad
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] A devuan "constitution"
On 06/12/14 01:31 AM, chris wrote:
> antisocial is an emotive word, I don't see anything wrong with
> non-free and contrib
>
> don't forget the "free" in "non-free" is "free" as in freedom not
> "free" as in beer!
>
> This exactly describes things like binary blob firmware, calling this
> antisocial is no way to get a hardware vendor on-board...

That would be my way of looking at it too.
I really would like to see Devuan remain Debian standard/compatible when
it comes to repositories, including naming.
There is a lot of good non-systemd related stuff in the Debian
repositories and there is no way for a distro at this point in its life
to replace the wealth that is there.

I'm more than happy to see the systemd excrement flushed, but I'd hate
to see the baby thrown out with the bath water.

I don't mean any disrespect to the work that is being done, but I don't
see a stripped down systemd-free jessie as a huge stretch to produce.
Developing an identity, communication and sharing the direction is most
important.

What worries me is the future when "Linux" may come to mean a
Gnome/systemd/Linux kernel OS, much like Google/Android/Linux kernel and
the rest of us seen as a parallel, fragmented, geek development
backwater, using the Linux core but not worth supporting.

That is why what happens now is so important and we, the "non-systemd"
folks, should not be seen as a bunch of reactionary weirdos who make
things different and incompatible just for the wish to be distance
ourselves from our roots.

FWIW this is been typed on a current Debian sid using GTK2 XFCE4,
LightDM and no F****** systemd (thanks to Thorsten Glaser) and some
cherry picking work. A functional desktop is still possible and since
Jessie is frozen, probably for a little while yet. I'm currently
testing out PCLinuxOS and Calculate Linux without systemd too, kind of
strange after 12 years of Debian use, but more baskets for eggs is good
and Gentoo or Debian from Scratch are not exactly quick install
alternatives, at least for me.

Devuan, may it live long and prosper.

Just 2 cents from a lurker.

Clarke